Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sorry to Disappoint

I wish I could turn back time [leeanne], not because I'm underprepared for something or rather, even though UMAT is getting me a little stressed because I seem to be doing worse and worse each time. Drills are fine, doing quite well in those, but I seem to get more and more fatigued with every question; especially in Section 3. I've decided I'll probably have to wing it :) just do my best on the day, get some good night's sleep, drink some chicken essence (apparently that helps boosts energy levels :P) with Up n Go, a few bananas and Weetbix then do my best!

But I don't really want to talk that much on UMAT. Mainly about my piano competitions I talked about before. I really envy (that's too strong a word, but that's the gist) when people say they're going to do something, like pull off a concert and they do an excellent job, everybody loves them. I, on the other hand, feel quite stupid that I asked people for luck for piano competitions, and ended up relatively empty handed.

I managed a Highly Commended in an 18/u Recital Award and a Third place in a 16 and over 19th Century Section. I somehow feel I've let my parents, my teacher and my friends (those who knew about my competitions) down; I really wanted to be able to blog and tell them that I won some section and earned some money! But I guess that will have to wait. Like my teacher said when I told her how disappointed I was with myself: "How can you expect to do what everyone else does in 12 months, in just 2 weeks?! Who you think you are? Mozart?" I wish I was a genius like him.

But nevertheless, I learnt a lot this week, well last week really.

The first night, I was very very drilled on coming first and getting the 200 dollar prize. I knew in the back of my mind that I probably didn't have much of a chance, but considering how I came 2nd in the same section in year 10, certainly, I could get something this year! I got onto stage and momentarily forgot to relax, playing the piece in a rushed manner; the piano itself was very hard to manage, with its left pedal producing a very tinkly yet still muffled effect and my shirt was too tight too! so when I tried to cross my arms over to do a high note with my left hand in my Ravel piece called Ondine, I got stuck ==" Forgetting to relax was one of my biggest failures that night; playing or performing without enjoying the music, or enjoying whatever you're doing, can be really dangerous.

So I came back home quite upset, distraught that I could not do better, but my father, pulling one of his good stories of how he had gone through so many failures in the past and that, in a Chinese proverb "Failure is the mother of Success", I slowly gained my psychological strength to carry on, and the next night, I played Liszt Les Jeux D'eaux a la Villa D'Este, a piece about the playful water fountains, I took 3rd place! =) I was very happy with the way I played, because I had not needed to practice intensely and I simply relaxed, enjoyed it immensely, and finished off with a smile on my face. I was more than happy to receive 3rd place in an Open section. Still no money.

Then, after practicing for another few days for the Friday Kawai Award, I got on stage friday night and felt a massive wave of fatigue. I really wanted to stop and start off with the slower piece, but with time restrictions, I started off with Rigoletto (also by Liszt) and as a result, due to my mental tiredness, pretty much screwed up an otherwise good performance and piece. The Ondine I played afterwards was not much better; I guess I really lacked the stamina to practice 8-9 hours a day, then go through the adrenaline rushes and nervousness, then to play on stage in a good and ready mental state.

I vowed to stay fit and I guess this reflects upon my studies too. Without a good healthy body, and an enduring stamina, it'd be impossible to perform well in HSC's 3 hour exams! I read a book once and it likened piano playing to sport and pianist to athletes, who have to train their whole body for a performance as it is physically and mentally draining.

I guess this just means I have to do more exercise ==" damn! :P

Anyway, bearing all this in mind next time, I hope to perform much better next time and if I win lots of money next time, I'll be sure to shout dinner. maybe. if you're nice to me XP

see you all soon =)

11 comments:

  1. Hi Krissybubbles (:
    First off good luck for UMAT !

    Secondly your recounts of your piano performances reminded me of one of my own xD
    In year 2, I entered some eistedford thing and you know when youre a kid, you go in with the mindset, OH I WILL WIN SOMETHING !

    Yeah i won nothing. LMAO I was very sad, and this kid who full pumped up the crowd won first place haha. You know those snotty little kids who full like try to be cute ? HE WAS ONE OF THEM >:\

    Anyways after that I learnt that not everyone can win. Ahahaha. There was no point to that story, but yes I await some of your cooking blogs in future (: like after trials. Cuhs i like those keke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abends Chris, (Evening)

    Wie geht's dir? (How are you?) =)

    Don't worry Chris, as Janette implied, we've probably all experienced something similar. Oh gad I remember in year 5? I was selected to do a solo poem recital for Chinese School and I was so nervous that when I got on stage, all my hard work came undone =(. I just rushed through it as quick as I could and went to hide in my chair afterwards. I felt quite embarassed because I knew I hadn't done myself any favours.

    But it still cracks me up to this day, with all the exaggerated intonations and facial expressions I was supposed to convey. Ergh just wanst made for poetry recital =)

    GOOD LUCK WITH UMAT (I didn't know you were even doing it :P, I'm such a good friend). Meanwhile I'll be in the withdrawing room withdrawing... in my German test :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo. Remember me?
    Yeesh...after 5 missed calls to you i woudlve expected a reply....not that u would call me now.....seeing its early/late now...however u look at it....

    Have fun at UMAT tomorrow....I'll be sure to call you once your done.....

    TURN ON YOUR PHONE GODDAMMIT!

    Lots to say. Too much publicity on the comment box.

    Catcha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. * I really envy (that's too strong a word, but that's the gist) *
    Reminds me of section 2 xD

    In year 2 I went to some eistedford thing too and for one of my pieces I was so nervous-ness I forgot to wait for the starting bell. I just started playing as soon as I was seated comfortably xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only good performance I've ever had was End of Year last year. I botched everything else I've ever done, including piano in the past.

    Don't sweat it, asshat. We're proud of you. I wish I was anywhere near as good as you in that zone, but unfortunately for me, music remains as just a thin hobby.

    BUBBLE TROUBLE ON THE DOUBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your music. Only when you play the entertainer. And mary had a little lamb...BACKWARDS :p

    Well you were competing against uni people who study music FULLTIME, so 3rd place is pretty good.

    Don't worry theres next year.

    And theres always our boyband xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your support :)
    I'll definitely work hard next time to do better!
    See you all soon =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. there's always next time! 頑張って下さい!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NGAR don't feel down because of this. FEEL MOTIVATED.

    KEEP PRACTICING. Disappointment or negative vibes should motivate you to work harder; work your butt off for 12 months and try again.

    At least this was a learning experience. You know you had to relax; and at least you know now that you do so much better when you are happy and relaxed :)

    WE ALL BELIEVE IN YOU. Ganbatte!! In our eyes, you're probably the best we know :D AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

    Cheerup and go practise :P

    Don't say sorry. You didn't disappoint us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude you can probably kick my butt out to Pluto with your piano and other skillz.

    Cheer up haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

    Your piano piece at assembly was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete