Tuesday, April 14, 2009

COOKING WITH BUBBLES 1

asdfakl;jdf

I FRKN COOKED TODAY HAHAAHAH

ehem*

i never thought cooking was to be SOO tiring. mothers make it look so easy, putting stuff in the pan, multiple pans i might add, talking away on the phone whilst preparing dinner or lunch. then having enough energy to clean up. i was completely exhaused after cooking. i barely haf enough energy left to blog. Luckily, dinner is early tonight; so naturally my energy levels will er be relinquished.

a shout to Belle who's having a hard time @ home with her sister. i'm quite fortunate to have an alright sister. Those who have met Krystal would know she ent really that bad - except now that she's in year 6, she's becoming a know-it-all, lecturing me on how to cook, and taking away the recipe when i started barring her :S

anyways, 

i was planning to make:

1. prawn skewers which i saw on foodwishes.com

Chef John made some really nice orange juicey prawn skewers covered with paccano ham (salty ham) but because my dad did shopping without me this morning, i only had prawns and..that was it..

well he bought tomatos and so i decided to use a recipe from one of mum's cookbooks by Gigi Wong - it's quite good. 

what i ended up making for no.1
was 

Diced tomato and onion tiger prawns with ORANGE JUICE xD (secret ingredient) 
and it made it very nice, a sweet flavour. =)

2. Japanese teriyaki fish rice. 

My mum made this for me during exam time when i was really exhausted and very hungry, of course. It was AMAZINGLY nice and well. stuff happened.

my dad, instead of buying me like john dory type (white meat fish), he bought me rainbow trout - said that was the only fresh fish @ Woolworths (my dad and uncle still call it Woolies *rolls eyes* they sound so fob xD)

wells
so ended up making teriyaki rainbow trout. (quite nice)

3. steak. i made steak. with worcestorshire sauce and some other japanese sauce thing. Added some onions and corn in (which i defrosted =)) yes i remembered shaun xD

Now, before i load the awesome pictures,

PROBLEMS I HAD.

1. tomatoes: 
they said, in the cookbook that, if you scald the tomatos with boiling water and then rinse with cold water, the skin would peel off very easily, doors plus, no fuss. BUT didn't work for me. I boiled the water, and scalded it and almost scalded myself in the process. and guess what. tHe skin stayed exactly as it was. I couldn't even peel it properly, because i have short nails (for piano and cos long nails look disgusting on me)

well, so i decided to cut them into quarters and try again. 
THIS time, some skin fell out, but most of it still stuck on, 
i gave up. and just went on to dice them up. (my dad says I look like Jamie Oliver or some DAI CHOO when i start cutting up stuff xD yay! master chef = bubbles ) xP

2. STEAK.
believe it or not. it takes some skill to do perfect steak. 

now my dad told me that steak required a VERY hot pan. and one thing NOT to do, when you add oil to the hot pan is start using your ladle or whatever and start moving the oil around in the pan. it starts sparkling everywhere and my shirt is like an aboriginal painting now. >_<

my first steak was good. Alfred wanted it well done cos he was sick; so i made it for him and it looked beautiful, a little burnt but it's the nice type, and completely edible. added some worchestershire sauce and damn did it smell nice.

my SECOND steak, for myself. well. the pan wasn't hot enough. I ended up with some type of light light brown, sick looking. Added a bit more oil to make it look darker - i didn't even know what i was thinking. Ended up with an overcooked but still yummy of course, steak. bleh.

my THIRD steak, for my sister. I decided to REALLLY intensifiedly heat the pan. well. too much. it looked really good, but was a medium rare, which Krystal didn't like. =__= ah man. 

well it was a good learning experience =)
and here are the pictures.

btw. prawns were VERY good. so was the rainbow trout. prawns were really good, just had to say it again, cos it really was quite nice. =)
















a bit watery in my opinion, but the sauce was delicious. and the prawns completely soaked up the orange juice. =)




















My lunch. took over 2 hours to make ahah shuddup.

OH ANOTHER PROBLEM

3. RAINBOW TROUT.
i hatechuu for having SOO MANY bones. i spent half the time picking out the bones. and trust me they are hard to pick out. Firstly, they are all lined up in a line (duh), so i cut along that line so it'd b easier to pluck them out. That was okay I guess. but sometimes, they just wouldnt' come out and GARR! very annoying. 

then unscaling them was a bitch as well. luckily, my dad did most of that for me, and i only had to finish off some of the parts where there were scales left. =)

I also learnt how to devein and unshell them. Quite fun to do.

Anyway, i'm tired.

but i still love cooking. Love mixing sauces around, adding flavours and experimenting. gna wash my shirt now. 

=)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA ;D
    GOOD GOING CHRIS :D I love how on your lunch plate, the rice has the flat bowl shape. HAHA. XD

    The boiling water tomato method works well with me :D

    1. Boil your water
    2. At the bottom of the tomato (the little dot), use a knife and make 2 small cuts like an X
    3. But the tomatoes in some kind of big bowl (mixing bowl or something) and cover with boiling water.
    4. If you want your tomatoes a bit squishy leave for about a minute or so, if you want it firm take it out after 30-40 seconds. By take it out, I mean pour the boiling water out XD
    5. COVER WITH COLD COLD WATER
    6. And the skin will just slip off. :|

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why thank you.

    shall try that tomorrow. i'm gna make tomato egg ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you mean your energy will replenish :). Relinquish means to let go of :P

    Also, "It was AMAZINGLY nice and well. stuff happened." Sounds like you decided to chuck an American Pie on it ;). Except this time the lights didn't go out if you get what I mean :D

    I need to ask my mum how to cook nows. You can't show me up Bubbles.

    Nice blog, but no boobies as I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops didn't read chatbox. Looks like Cheryl and Shaun corrected you already. Well hope you don't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To cook a good steak, you can't heat the pan or whatever too much. Bringing the temp up too quick will have the water in the steak evaporate and you end up with a rock hard slab.

    Cook it at a lower temperature, for longer, and if it's not sufficiently browned you can blowtorch it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot =)

    will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan says:
    Remember in yr 8 and 9 , when i came 1st in cooking at baulko...yeah those were the days..

    Anyways, finally you update...friggin geez, take forever won't you.

    The first thing that came to my mind when i saw your prawn in watever that watery sauce was xD....well, you'd know wat i'd think kar long.

    Have fun cooking. If you ever starve, jsut come knock at my door, my mum always has leftovers

    ReplyDelete